Referring back to something I mentioned on Sunday 1 March (wow, is it really 30 days ago ...). The email was from UK Athletics asking if I was available for selection for the 24 hr World Challenge & European Championships to be held in Bergamo, Italy on 2 & 3 May.
Of course I replied "yes" but didn't know what the qualifying standard was. In fact, I thought that, at this late stage it was too late for UK Athletics to think about sending a team to Italy. I asked around for advice on how this would affect the Run To London and, on reading all the replies, I came to the conclusion that I'd have to postpone it for a month or so.
About ten days or so ago I began to realise just how fit I was becoming now. Almost definitely fitter than I was in late September last year (four weeks before the Tooting Bec 24 hr race) and I had been thinking about maybe doing the World & European Champs AND the Run to London.
But then, last night, came the news that UK Athletics were only going to send one man to Italy - Stephen Mason. His 24 hr run in Perth last September was outstanding (239.396 km) and he ran a 100km pb three days ago in Galway (7h 49:54).
Congratulations to him and I wish him all the best in Bergamo at the beginning of May.
My only quibble is that I wasn't aware there was any selection criteria for this event. Had I known that the individual standard was 236 km and the team standard 225 km I probably wouldn't be feeling quite so bad now.
Having a rant like this helps though - still looking forward to the Commonwealth Championships.
Thanks to everyone who offered advice ... it was most welcome. It feels good to be part of the ultra running community where advice is freely given to those who ask.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment