Monday, April 6, 2009

North of England 12 stage relay

Had a good day out in Stockport yesterday. The occasion was the North of England 12 stage relay and Otley AC had a team entered for the first time in a few years. Basically the relay alternated long and short stages of 4.53 and 2.36 miles respectively.

Naturally, being an ultra runner, I was allocated a short stage - the final one. Set off about 30 seconds behind someone from Penny Lane Striders. Caught them up the big hill at about 1.5 miles (my strength showing here I think) and pulled away to record a pleasing 14:39 for my 2.36 miles. As I was walking back to my kit the announcer read out the teams who had qualified for the National Relays on 18 April, we missed out by one place - about 10 seconds.

Later found out that the runner I passed was running stage 11 for his club. They must have been at least 25 minutes behind us. This morning I learned that we had qualified for the National Relays after all ... a brilliant result for us as we always find it difficult to get our best 12 runners to turn out.

The bad news is that I won't be able to take part, sometimes family stuff just has to come first and as it's already been organised ... sorry lads.

No comments: