OK ... it's now time to start thinking seriously about the logistics of running to London. A few ideas spring to mind.
1) I'll need a crew with a car to carry food, drink, spare clothes, maps, etc
2) will 1:50,000 maps of the route suffice or should I use 1:25,000
3) injuries ... roads are a hard surface for 200+ miles, will have to be careful of the camber too
4) night time ... need more practice with the head torch, especially on minor roads. Somebody to run with would be a great help on this stretch
5) I'll also need a timekeeper
6) Two good ideas would also be to have a hotel room booked in London and/or someone to bring me home
7) Someone with first aid skills or a doctor would be useful - especially in London [with my record of collapsing at the end of long ultra races Fay would say this is a necessity]
8) Fay and Keir also have their worries which include: (a) my personal protection from muggers, etc (b) for a large proportion of the time I'll be running alone - unlike the other ultras I've done (c) they will not be able to crew for me so I'll be in the hands of others ... they are worried that my 'idiosyncrasies will not be adequately catered for ...'
Regarding points 1, 4, 5, 6 and 7 above it seems obvious to me that all those tasks don't require a separate person, ie the same person can have two or more roles.
ANY OFFERS OF HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED ... please leave a comment or send me an email or see this page
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'll consider running a night stretch with you old boy. Let me know what place you plan- and I'll let you know how long I'll manage. At 6mph I could probably make dusk to dawn (about 7 hours at that time of year).
Post a Comment