Thursday, March 12, 2009

Road Testing

Yesterday afternoon I ran over 27 miles along part of the proposed route. Basically I ran south from Cutsyke (near Castleford) to just beyond Stainton (south of Doncaster, east of Rotherham).

Hills at North Featherstone and just south of Hemsworth added to the experience. The mile long downhill stretch before Great Houghton was a welcome relief but nothing prepared me for the 2.5 mile long hill through Conisbrough. Something to look forward to on the afternoon of Saturday 23 May - the hill is at about 42 to 44 miles.

My bumbag caused a bit of chaffing on my back but I think this is because it was overfilled and hopefully that won't be a problem on the actual run - as long as sufficient numbers of people volunteer to help with transporting kit, drinks, food, etc.

I also decided to road test something I found recently in Up & Running (the Leeds branch). I was never in need of food but at 3 hours 25 I decided to have the Clif Bar I had with me. Basically it was chocolate covered Carrot Cake made with organic oats and soybeans. The taste was really good and it wasn't too difficult to chew and swallow whilst actually running. I would definitely recommend this - I'll be taking some to London. At 68g each and with 240 kcal, 150mg Na, 250mg K, 46g carbohydrates, 10g protein, plenty of vitamins and minerals but no Trans Fats they are very good nutritionally too.

And, of course, carrots are known to help with night vision.

Something else to bear in mind is that what my body can tolerate at 3 to 4 hours is not necessarily what my body can tolerate after 6 hours, or 10 or 20 hours.

I was a bit nervous before leaving my dad's house in Castleford as this was my longest training run since 3 September 2008. No problems at all though ... 27.33 miles in 3h 55:46

No comments: