Set off for a long run this morning ... 35 miles was planned but I wasn't particularly looking forward to it because the weather forecast was for heavy rain for the entire duration of my run. Not sure what other runners think but my opinion is that running for an hour or two in the rain is no problem ... but five hours or more is a totally different ball game.
Set off in fine weather which raised my spirits somewhat but after a couple of miles running at my usual pace I noticed that, in fact, it was quite a bit slower than expected. Increased the pace for a few miles but it felt like hard work - even though the weather was still fine (but a little on the cold side).
After about six or seven miles I was still struggling at my normal long run pace so I decided to come home - ran 9.6 miles in total. I figured that if it feels hard at the start of a long run there's no point pushing it for the full 35 miles if it's only a training run. If it was a race of course it would be a different story.
Now, the question is, why didn't I feel particularly good? I guess the options are:
1 - heavy training has finally caught up with me and I need a break
2 - early warning sign of over training
3 - early sign of swine flu
Tomorrow - should I stay or should I go?
Weather still fine despite all the forecasts warning of torrential rain for most of today.
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Chris, well impressed with your mileage of late, you're making me feel quite lazy! Thanks for the mention for the Fling, it went ok apart from severe stomach problems meant I ran the whole 53 miles on about 5 gels and a few sweets, but I'm hoping this was just a one off thing. Hope it's not swine flu you've got, you haven't been in contact with any Mexican banditos recently have you...??!
Richie
Post a Comment